Mon-El, darling, you need to come back. I don’t care if you got dragged into a black hole, you need to come back right away. Kara needs you. We all need you, because that Kara we saw last night is not the sweet, happy, kind-hearted Kara Danvers we have all come to know and love. So please, we’re begging you here. Come back.
Supergirl season 3 premiered last night and it showed us just how much their sacrifice in the season 2 finale is really affecting Kara. Gone is that happy go lucky superhero, and in her place we got an all-work-no-fun-super-serious Supergirl. And you know what? I don’t like her. And I’m worried about her, just like everyone else.
She needs help in her all grief, because she is just not letting herself feel anything — which made for some pretty intense scenes, and a complete role reversal for our sweet Kara Danvers. Melissa Benoist did an absolutely fantastic job portraying her stubborness in not allowing herself proper time to grief, and instead, just throwing herself at work and remaining completely stoic.
So without further ado, let’s talk about the highlights of the Supergirl Season 3 Premiere “Girl of Steel”:
5. We need to talk about Reign. I am not versed in comic book canon, so she’s a brand new character to me. Except, it didn’t look like she was a villain at all. Does she even know she’s a Kryptonian? Is she Kara’s sister or related to her at all? Why did she have the same dream as Kara did — although with a much scarier ending? How is she going to go from concerned mother to super villain? I am so curious. I need answers.
4. Lena Luthor is amazing. I already loved her last season, but she’s such a badass, smart and confident woman, even more so now. And she’s an amazing friend to boot! I love her chemistry with Kara and I can’t wait to see that friendship develop even more. Now that she’s bought CatCo, I’m willing to bet we will see a lot more of them together.
3. Cat Grant is the Press Secretary for the White House. Enough said.
“She also believes that two plus two equals four, and that the Earth is round, because the President is not a moron. Any third grader knows that global warming is the biggest threat of our time, and I’m happy to report that the intellectual capacity of our President is not inferior to that of an 8-year-old”.
2. All the Karamel sequences, because they were just breathtakingly beautiful, but especially when Kara was drowning and Mon-El was the one who got her to wake up and bounce back to save National City once again. She misses him so much, and it was heartbreaking how she couldn’t even bring herself to say that, for all she knows, he could be dead. Again, TPTB, don’t make us suffer for too long. Bring Mon-El back. Please.
1. Alex asking Jonn Jonnz to walk her down the aisle. That scene wrecked me. I cried right along with them, and laughed out loud when Alex was like, “Don’t cry! If you cry, I’ll cry, and people will know we can cry”. Everything was perfect in that scene and it was such a special moment for both of them, because Jonn doesn’t have his family anymore, and Alex doesn’t have her dad, so they really have become each other’s family.
It’s just so beautiful. The feels, guys. The feels.
So what did you think of the Supergirl Season 3 Premiere? Loved it? Hated it? Do you want Mon-El back as badly as Kara and I do? Tell me all about it.
Supergirl returns with an all new episode next Monday, October 16, at 8pm on The CW.