That was well worth the wait, wasn’t it?
After a hellish summer hiatus, our favorite devil is finally back on our screens. Lucifer season 3 premiered last night, and it was honestly like they had never even left. “They’re Back, Aren’t They?” brought back everything that made me fall in love with this show this past summer, and it felt like everyone was on top of their game.
A special shout out to Aimee Garcia — such an excellent addition to the cast last season –who brings such levity and quirkyness to every scene she is in, and that was absolutely stellar in last night’s premiere. It’s like her character, Ella Lopez, is representing all of us, fangirling about everything, and just not at all worried about what anyone will think of her.
The premiere picked up right where they left us hanging in the season 2 finale — with Lucifer waking up in the middle of the desert with his wings firmly reattached to his back. Surprisingly, he was only missing for two days, so Chloe wasn’t even worried about him, thinking he had gotten cold feet about wanting to come clean with her about everything.
In an episode that had a completely unorthodox case — a company that provides kidnapping services as a prank? I mean, what? — “They’re Back, Aren’t They?” brought to the table everything that makes Lucifer such a beloved show. It was funny as hell, but it had its fair share of touching moments, and even set up the big bad of the season (maybe?).
Now, without further ado, let’s talk about the top 10 moments of last night’s Lucifer Season 3 Premiere:
7. Ella giving Amenadiel a pep talk. Actually, their first meeting before that was also pretty spectacular, but I especially loved how she told him he had to hold on to his faith, and that even when things seemed completely bleak, it meant that it was serving a purpose in the grand scheme of things, and that everything happened for a reason. Even though their chat revolved around Leo, the dead cat, it was still touching and very, very sweet.
6. The entire first sequence of Lucifer waking up in the desert and hitching a ride with a robbed armoured truck. Those first few minutes were absolutely hilarious, and so completely Lucifer, that I was just staring at my screen with a ridiculous grin, thinking how much I had missed this devilishly handsome angel.
5. Marcus Pierce is a jerk. I really like Tom Welling, which kind of softened the blow, but his character is a pompous jerk. I have already read theories that he is actually Sinnerman, but that would be too easy, right? Plus, wasn’t it confirmed that he was a human? So maybe he is working with Sinnerman, which means that he might be totally in the know about celestial beings hanging out in Los Angeles.
4. Lucifer taking care of Dr. Linda. One of my very favorite things about this show is that they take an absolutely unlikely relationship and make it absolutely work. I love, love, love Lucifer’s friendship with Linda Martin, and how much he cares and trusts her with his very soul. When he shows her his new wings, the line “I didn’t know they could grow back. Are wings like body hair?” made me laugh out loud. And I’m also so glad that he didn’t even hesitate to show her his wings, and even trusted her enough to ask her to cut them off again. Of course she said no, but it was still a great moment. Hilarious, yes, but also very touching and very telling about how deep their feelings and respect for each other go.
3. Apparently, wings are like body hair and can grow back. I admit I was shocked to see that Lucifer did cut his wings off again — which begs the question, who did it for him? After all, the last time we saw him with wings, he couldn’t possibly reach his back to do the unholy work himself, so who he has managed to convince to do the deed for him? But nothing beats the look of surprise on his face when he realized they had grown back, while he was scaring the life out of their suspect. Is God really behind this? What does that even mean for Lucifer? Is he an angel now? Is the devil in him completely gone? So. Many. Questions.
2. Ella being a fangirl. I loved Aimee Garcia’s character from the moment she first showed up on my screen, but she was so incredibly relatable last night, that I love her even more now. From the moment she started babbling about how much she admired Marcus Pierce (Tom Welling), to the look she gave Decker as she left the room, so Chloe and Lucifer could talk, Ella is definitely one of us. And she ships Deckerstar so hard.
1. Lucifer trying to show Chloe his devil face. I believe everyone had been waiting for this moment for so long, that we were all holding our breath through the whole thing. Even though it didn’t work, which just opened up a whole new can of worms, the fact that he was more than ready to come clean — and even tried to — was amazing. And the fact that Chloe was so supportive when he was trying to work up the courage to tell her, and then so upset when she thought he was making fun of her was both heartwarming and heartbreaking.
So what were your favorite moments, LuciFans? Sound off in the comments below!
Lucifer returns with an all new episode next Monday, October 9, at 8pm on FOX.